Biomedical Engineering is one of the emerging fields which combines Engineering expertise with the needs in the medical industry for the growth and development of the healthcare sector. It is the unique branch of Engineering in which the concepts, knowledge, expertise and skills are designated and applied to the field of biology and medicine in order to meet the daily challenges.
The field of bioengineering, as the term implies, includes the mathematical modeling of the biological systems, design and computation of the algorithms which help to analyze biological signals, bioninformatics, biomechanics, applications of micro-electromechanical systems, molecular engineering, nanotechnology and development of signal processing and control algorithms of artificial parts of the body.
Career Opportunities for Biomedical Engineers:
- A biomedical engineer carries out various functions within the biomedical engineering industry and other institutions such as hospitals, healthcare organizations and teaching institutions.
- They design the sleek computer systems which help to monitor patients during the different stages of the hospital care. Moreover, they also build the systems to monitor the health aspects of the healthy persons.
- They design and build the complex sensors to measure blood chemistry, such as sodium and pH.
- They design the instruments and devices for the therapeutic uses for example the device for the eye surgery.
- They make strategies for the clinical decision making based on the data obtained through artificial intelligence.
- They design clinical laboratories and automate different units within the hospitals and other health care delivery systems using the advanced engineering technologies.
- They design, build and investigate the medical imaging systems based on X-rays (Computer Assisted Tomography), Magnetic Fields (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), Ultrasound or newer modalities.
- They develop and implement the mathematical models of physiological systems, for example they design and construct bio materials and find out the mechanical, transport and biocompatibility properties of implantable materials.
- They investigate the Bio – Mechanics of injury and wound healing.
Pakistan has a growing biomedical industry with the increased development of surgical tools, update of instrumentation in the hospitals and spending of large budgets on the research & development.
The Faculty of Engineering & Applied Sciences at Riphah International University is offering 4-years B.Sc. Biomedical Engineering, with a focus on practical learning and technical skills which are highly demanded in the industry.